This playlist is from the first chapter of Genesis and contains one of the stories of Creation (the second is in Genesis 2:4-25). For children, the important part of the creation story is learning that God created the world and everything in it and called it good! If you want to learn more about the book of Genesis visit the Bible Project.
- Read Genesis 1:1-2:3 in your Bible or the Creation story in your favorite Storybible.
- Wonder about the story together:
- I wonder what it would have been like to create the world from the beginning.
- I wonder what you would have created differently.
- I wonder what your favorite part of creation is.
- I wonder how you take time to rest.
Dear God, thank you for creation! Thank you for the light and dark, for the sun and moons, for the water and sky, for the big and small animals, and for all the people. Help us to take care of creation. Help us to remember to rest. (Insert family celebrations and requests here if desired.) Amen.
1. Play charades or “Pictionary” as a family taking turns acting out or drawing different parts of creation.
2. Take a walk with your family (in your neighborhood, at a park, or local school) and pick up trash. Be careful of sharp or dangerous items.
3. Make a list of ways that your family can help care for creation. Choose 1 or 2 to do this week.
4. Use materials from around your house to re-tell the story of Creation. You might use Lego, paper and crayons, play-doh or clay, action figures, etc. Take pictures of each “day.”
5. Write a poem or a story about creation.
6. Create a “Word Cloud” – write down all the words you can think of that relate to Creation. Then write your words in a variety of sizes that look like a picture. Or use a “word cloud” generator like www.wordart.com.
7. Go on a creation scavenger hunt.