Fruit of the Spirit
The fruit of the Spirit are gifts (or qualities) that God gives Christians who desire to be more like Jesus. As we grow closer to God, these gifts – love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control – become stronger in our own lives. Younger children are beginning to explore what each of the fruit mean and watch for how they are modeled in others. Older children will begin to see the fruit in themselves and realize the importance of them for their own lives and in their relationship with God. The fruit of the Spirit are also excellent ways for us to model what it means to be Christ-like to our friends, family, and neighbors. This playlist is a general overview of the Fruit of the Spirit. Additional playlists for each fruit will be available by the end of 2020.
- Read Galatians 5:22-23 in your Bible or the story about the Fruit of the Spirit in your favorite story Bible.
- Wonder about the story together:
- I wonder if any of the fruit of the Spirit are easy to live out in every day life.
- I wonder if any of the fruit of the Spirit are hard to live out in every day life.
- I wonder who you see in your life modeling these qualities.
- I wonder which of the fruit of the Spirit you would like to learn more about.
Dear God, thank you for the Fruit of the Spirit – your gift to us through the Holy Spirit. Help us to learn about these qualities and make them part of our lives. Help us remember that these qualities help us to grow closer to you and share your love with the people around us. Thank you for teaching us ways that we can be more like Jesus. (Insert family celebrations and requests here if desired.) Amen.
Activities to Learn About the Fruit of the Spirit
- Fruit of the Spirit Scavenger Hunt (this is designed to be used in a church context, but could be adapted for use at home)
- Free Fruit of the Spirit printable pages (crossword, word search, and more)
- Fruit of the Spirit Matching Game
- Make a fruit salad – choose 9 ingredients to use for your fruit salad and talk about each fruit as you add another ingredient.
- Make a fruit of the spirit bracelet – string 9 different colored beads onto a bracelet to wear as a reminder of the fruit of the spirit.