to Rev. Alicea Williams for curating this playlist!
Need something else?
Need another resource? Looking for advice? Please contact Kathy Pittenger.
The Parable of the Mustard Seed
Jesus told stories (parables) to the people to help them understand God. The parable of the Mustard Seed and the Yeast are short and powerful. Each story tells us that having even the smallest amount of faith can grow into something much bigger. Our faith grows when we stay in love with God by reading the Bible, praying, and trying to live like God wants us to live. As our faith grows, we can share God’s love with others.
Start by reading the Bible Story or watching the video and going through the wondering questions. Then pick the activities your family would like to do, as many or few as you like. Close your family faith time with prayer – use your own or the one provided.
- Read the Parables of the Mustard Seed and Yeast from Luke 13:18-21 in your favorite Bible or from the Deep Blue Bible Storybook.
- Wonder about the story together:
- I wonder how that tiny mustard seed grows so big.
- I wonder what makes the yeast grow.
- I wonder what the birds represent in the story.
- I wonder where you are in the story.
- I wonder how you will grow your faith this week.
- Dear God, thank you for tuny mustard seeds that remind us how even the smallest faith can grow into something big that has roots in your love Help us each day to grow our faith and stay in love with you. In Jesus’ Name, Amen.
The Marvelous Mustard Seed by Amy-Jill Levine and Sandy Eisenberg Sasso