Hope In God
What is hope anyway? Hope is the expectation and desire that something specific will happen. As a follower of Jesus, hope is part of our faith in God. We have hope because of the life, ministry, and resurrection of Jesus. We have hope because of the community of believers that we see around us. Especially during times of uncertainty our hope in God gives us something to hold fast to.
- Read the story where Jesus Calms the Storm in your favorite Story Bible or Mark 4:35-41.
- This story about Jesus Calming the waves and winds is about fear, trust, hope, and faith. Consider this story from the perspective of the disciples in a place of fear and hope that Jesus would care for them.
- Wonder about the story together:
- I wonder what it would have been like to be a disciple on the boat.
- I wonder what the disciples were thinking or feeling.
- I wonder if they felt hopeful that Jesus could save them.
- I wonder when you have been hopeful
- Jesus silenced the wind and waves when his disciples were fearful for their lives. Jesus may not silence the things we are fearful about (and we have may real fears), but there are ways that we can bring hope into our world. Talk about some of the ways your family can bring hope. Choose one that you can do today.
1. Find Hope! Draw pictures or cut out photos from magazines (or print from the internet) of things that remind you of hope.
2. Hope for Others! Paint stones or use sidewalk chalk to write or draw pictures with messages of hope.
3. Write 1 Peter 5:7 on the mirror in your bathroom (or another place that may work). Read it every time you wash your hands.
4. Use what you have in your home (play-doh, Lego, coloring, painting) to share other ways you place your hope in God.
Dear God, thank you for all the ways that we can find hope in our world. We pray for those we care about who are sick, alone or in need of your love. (Add those who you want to pray for like healthcare workers, public service workers, people who aren’t working, and others.) Help us care for one another, share hope with one another, and trust in you. In Jesus’ Name, Amen.
Little Mole Finds Hope by Glenys Nellist
And Then It’s Spring by Julie Fogliano – available from Audible or Prime Video or YouTube
Hope is An Open Heart by Lauren Thompson