to Erica Kozlowski for helping to curate this playlist.
Need something else?
Need another resource? Looking for advice? Please contact Kathy Pittenger.
Want to know more about the book of Jonah? Watch this 9 minute overview about Jonah from the Bible Project.
The story of Jonah comes from the Hebrew/Old Testament of the Bible. Jonah is a prophet – someone who speaks on behalf of God. When God asks him to go to Ninevah, he has a bit of a temper tantrum and gets on a ship heading the opposite way. Read Jonah (or parts of it) or watch a video to learn more.
Start by reading the Bible Story or watching the video and going through the wondering questions. Then pick the activities your family would like to do, as many or few as you like. Close your family faith time with prayer – use your own or the one provided.
- Read the story of Jonah in your favorite Bible Story Book or Bible. You can find it online here. Wonder about the story together:
- I wonder why Jonah didn’t want to go to Ninevah.
- I wonder what it would have been like to be inside a fish.
- I wonder why Jonah was so angry.
- I wonder what question you might ask Jonah about his story.
- I wonder if you have ever heard God speak to you.
- I wonder if you listened to what God was telling you.
- Dear God, thank you for the stories in the Bible that help us learn more about you. Help us to listen when you speak to us. Thank you for being compassionate and caring for people, even our enemies. Help us to show compassion to others too. In Jesus’ Name, Amen.
Additional Book Suggestions:
- “When God Made You” by Matthew Paul
- “When God Made the World” by Matthew Paul Turner
- “It Will Be Okay” by Lysa TerKuerst (video)
- “Only One You” by Linda Kranz