The Angel Visits Mary
Background for Grown-ups
Mary was an ordinary young woman, living a normal life when the angel Gabriel came to her and told her she would get pregnant with God’s son. Mary agreed to follow God’s plan for her life and became an instrumental part of God’s plan to save humanity through Jesus Christ. We may not be rich, famous, or important in the eyes of the world, but we are God’s hands and feet on earth and God wants to use us to make the world a better place – we just have to have the courage of Mary and say yes to God’s call.
- Read the story about the Angel visiting Mary in Luke 1:28-33 or your favorite storybook Bible.
- Wonder about the story together:
- I wonder what the angel looked like.
- I wonder what the angel sounded like.
- I wonder what Mary was thinking when the angel spoke to her.
- I wonder what Mary felt (excited, scared) when the angel spoke to her.
- I wonder why God picked Mary to be the mother of Jesus.
Dear God, thank you for sending us Jesus and giving him a loving family. Give us the courage we need to be your hands and feet on earth and show others your love. Amen.
Choose one or more of the activities to do with your family to explore the story!
1. Breaking News Activity – God did something that seemed impossible in this story. Either individually or in a group write a news story about something that seems impossible that could happen to a young person who wants to make a difference in the world for God. Dream big! When your stories are done take turns pretending to be a news reporter and report this breaking news story to your family. (Idea adapted from childrensministry.com)
2. Send Mary a Care Package! – Mary is having a baby! There are a lot of things she’ll need to do and things she’ll need to have to get ready for baby Jesus. If you were going to send Mary a care package to help her get ready for Jesus, what would you put in it? Don’t worry about being practical – you have an unlimited budget, shipping is not an issue, and let’s assume time travel exists, so you can send her things that did not exist when she was alive, or that haven’t been invented yet in our time! Write a list or draw a picture of the things you would include in Mary’s care package.
3. God Made Me Special Worksheet –
Mary was a normal girl and God picked her to do something amazing. We might feel like we’re not special enough to do amazing things for God, but God made all us special, with unique talents and interests. God wants us to use our talents and interests to make our communities and the world a better place. Pick one of the worksheets by clicking on the button below and use it to explore the things that make you special and how you can serve God.
Mary was an ordinary young girl who God used to do extraordinary things. Malala Yousafzai was also an ordinary young girl who did extraordinary things. Can you think of other ordinary people who God used to do amazing things?
Here I Am Lord
Mary’s response to the angel was “I am the Lord’s servant. Let it be with me just as you have said.” Imagine Mary singing this song after the angel tells her God wants her to give birth to God’s son. Imagine yourself singing this – what is God calling you to do?